Joanna Caouette, Program Coordinator, PosperityME: The Center for Financial Education
What are your top strategies for success?
As a Black immigrant woman, I have to work twice as hard to be successful. I cannot afford to wait for opportunities; I have to go after them and be persistent. Here are my top strategies:
- When it comes to my professional growth, I’ve replaced all the ifs by whens.
- By improving myself instead of proving myself, I let my work speak for me.
- It’s OK to ‘reinvent the wheel’ if that means innovation that will improve processes and impact.
- I’ve learned to be more like water: flexible and adaptable, but forceful when necessary.
- Always negotiate your salary.