Janine Roberts, Chief of Police, Westbrook Police Department
What are your top strategies for success?
Throughout my career, I’ve tried to follow a set of principles that I believe have contributed to my success. Here are my top ten:
- Practice self-awareness, self-control, common sense, and emotional intelligence.
- Build relationships and trust wherever possible.
- When faced with obstacles and challenges, process my emotional reaction to them, and create a plan to overcome them.
- Make sure my actions back up my words.
- Listen to others; include their input in my decisions.
- Set clear expectations and show loyalty.
- Mentor and empower others; put others first.
- Be humble; admit when wrong; show vulnerabilities; accept constructive criticism.
- Practice my core values of accountability, compassion, fairness, integrity.
- Always look for ways to grow as a leader, public servant, and person.