U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Employers are required to complete this form with all employees to verify their identity and work authorization. The new form incorporates smart features and is designed to reduce errors and address areas that have been problematic to employers and employees.
For now, employers may use either the new version dated 11/14/16 or continue using the version dated 03/08/13. Effective January 22, 2017, employers must use ONLY the new version.
Changes to the new version include . . .
- The employee Section 1 requests “other last names used” rather than “other names used,” and streamlines certification for certain foreign nationals
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator
- A dedicated area for additional information
- A new citizenship/immigration status field in Section 2
- Instructions separate from the form, including specific instructions for completing each field
- Automatic generation of a quick response (QR) code when the form is printed that can be used to streamline enforcement audits
This smart version of the Form I-9 also includes other changes to make it easier to complete electronically, including . . .
- Addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly
- Drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates
- On-screen instructions for each field
- Easy access to the full instructions
- An option to clear the form and start over
While this form is designed with smart features, employers are still required to print the form, obtain handwritten signatures, monitor re-verifications and updates, retain the form, and retype information into E-Verify if using that system.
See the following link for the new version of the form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9.
For More Guidance or Support
If you have questions or need more assistance with Form I-9 or other HR needs, contact KMA today.