The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has a new version of the “Job Safety and Health – It’s The Law!” employment poster which applies to private sector employers and employees. The poster more clearly identifies rights of workers and employer responsibilities.
Employee rights include the right to:
- Request an OSHA inspection of their workplaces
- Receive information and training on job hazards
- Report a work-related injury or illness
- Raise safety and health concerns with their employer or OSHA without retaliation.
Employers have a legal obligation to provide a safe workplace.
In addition, the poster has been updated to include the new reporting obligations for employers effective January 1, 2015. Employers must now report every fatality and every hospitalization, amputation, and loss of an eye.
The new poster also informs employers of their responsibilities to train all workers in a language and vocabulary they can understand, comply with OSHA standards, and post citations at or near the place of an alleged violation.
- OSHA’s “It’s the Law” poster is free and can be downloaded at https://www.osha.gov/Publications/poster.html.
- Employers must display the poster in a conspicuous place where workers can see it.
- Previous versions of the poster do not need to be replaced, but KMA recommends employers do so to stay up-to-date on the latest information and reporting requirements.
If you have questions on this or other employment posting and notice requirements, contact KMA for assistance.